Empedocles (492 BC - 432 BC), a Greek philosopher, was very interested in understanding how things were composed. He concluded that everything was composed of four elements: water, earth, fire, and air. According to him, in different proportions, those elements combined would create all types of matter. Sometime later, Aristotle added Ether as the fifth element, the material that fills the region of the universe above the terrestrial sphere. Ether was thought to be a divine and indestructible substance, where stars and other celestial bodies are formed. Even though this was eventually denied, those philosophers' conclusions came to sow in us the question of what matter is composed of, leading us to all the knowledge we have nowadays about the elements and atoms.
For this challenge, we give you two options. First, you can choose one element or more, and compose your piece. Second, you can compose a song about the origin of matter based on the theory of the five elements (water, earth, air, fire, and ether). In your piece, transmit how the interaction of these elements gave rise to all things.
- Must be an original song specially created for this challenge. An arrangement will not be considered.
- Collaborations are allowed (max. 3 composers).
- You can only submit one score.
- The duration of the song must be between 1 to 5 minutes.
- External audio sources can be used (it will not influence the results).
- If you have already won a challenge, you can submit your song, but you will not participate in the annual prize subscription, to give a chance to someone else.
- Deadline: 22th September. No late submissions!
✅ Accuracy (30)
How well the song embodies the chosen element or the theory of the five elements.
✅ Engagement (30)
How well your song captures one's attention for its entire duration.
✅ Transitions (30)
How smooth and well-designed the song's transitions are (e.g. modulations).
✅ Founder Enjoyment (10)
How the founders of Tutteo, the company behind Flat, like your piece.
- Follow us on Instagram (1 point).
- Tell us a topic you would like for a challenge (2 points).
- Tell us where is our product designer's name. Hint: the answer is in this post (2 points).
🥇 The score with the most points wins.
We will announce the winner on the 6 of October!
🏆 One-year Premium subscription.
- Promotion in our blog and social media.
- Special badge for a year showing you as the winner of this month's challenge!
- You will help us choose the winner for the next challenge.
Please send your submission 👉🏽 here before the deadline!
Late submissions will not be considered.